Attractions

  • Hugh Glass Memorial

    Address:
    Lemmon, SD, USA .

    THE SOUTH DAKOTA WILDERNESS IN the early 1800’s was a dangerous place for the countless rugged trappers and adventurers who trekked hundreds of miles away from civilization to reap nature’s spoils, but none of these intrepid explorers likely faced these perils as up close and personal as Hugh Glass who was left for dead after a bear attack hundreds of miles from any settlement and lived.

    While scouting a hunt during an 1823 trapping expedition, Glass stumbled upon a mother bear and her cubs. Before he could fire his gun, the bear began mauling the man with her massive claws. Despite his increasingly severe injuries, Glass drew his knife and fought back, and with the help of some of his fellow explorers was able to kill the beast. Unfortunately for Glass it was seemingly too late as he lost consciousness from the severe wounds he had received.

    Two members from the expedition were tasked to staying with Glass while the rest moved on, but shortly after the larger group left the two watchers took Glass’ weapons and gear and left the wounded man for dead. When Glass finally awoke, he was alone, unarmed, and utterly lost, left with a broken leg and life-threatening gashes all over his body. Despite this, he set his broken leg and began to crawl towards Fort Kiowa, almost 200 miles away.

    As he traveled Glass’ wounds began to rot and fester so he famously laid down on a rotting log and let maggots feast on the necrotized flesh, likely saving his own life. As he traveled he survived off of vegetation and at one point the carcass of a downed buffalo. Eventually he was helped by a group of friendly natives who tended his wounds and sent him on his way with a bit of equipment.

    After two months of traveling through the wild, Glass arrived at Fort Kiowa and spent a great deal of time recuperating. Once he was healed he set about the work of tracking down the two men who left him for dead. Glass eventually found both of them and spared one because of his youth and the other because he was now a U.S. soldier. He did however recover the rifle that was taken from him.

    Today, a small stone and brass monument plaque sits on the edge of a South Dakota lake at the end of an unpaved road. This remote reminder of a man who survived the land like almost no other before him is fittingly rugged and stoic.

  • Sitting Bull Monument

    Address:
    US-212, Mobridge, SD 57601 .

    The Sitting Bull Monument, on Standing Rock Indian Reservation near Mobridge in Corson County, South Dakota, was built in 1953. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2006. It is a sculpture by Korczak Ziolkowski of Sitting Bull.

  • Sacajawea Monument

    Address:
    Mobridge, SD .

    Folk Figure. Born to the Lemhi Shoshone people between 1787 and 1789 in what is present day Idaho. At about age 11 or 12, a Hidatsa raiding party stole her from her home and took her to their territory in present day North Dakota. By 1804, she was living in a Hidatsa-Mandan settlement when she was taken by a French-Canadian fur trader, Toussaint Charbonneau, as his second wife. In November 1804 the The Corps of Discovery lead by William Clark and Meriwether Lewis arrived in the village. They recognized the value of Sacajawea and Charbonneau’s language skills; Charbonneau spoke French and Hidatsa; Sacajawea spoke Hidatsa and Shoshone, one member of the Corps spoke French and English, and the rest spoke only English. Two months before the group set off, she gave birth to a son, Jean Baptiste, whom she would carry throughout the journey. The Corps leaders saw the inclusion of a woman and a child as a clear signal to unknown tribes that they meant no harm. Only a month into the journey she proved her worth by remaining calm and rescuing important papers, instruments, medicine, and other irreplaceable items that otherwise would have been lost during a boat accident. Lewis and Clark then named a tributary of the Mussellshell River “Sah-ca-gah-weah,” after her. When the group finally encountered the Shoshone near Lemhi Pass, she served as translator in trade negotiations, made easier when she recognize the Shoshone leader as her brother. She continued with the Corps to the Pacific coast and was granted an equal vote as to where they should encamp. Often incorrectly described as a guide for the Corps, she did serve as interpreter, peace token, and naturalist, identifying roots, plants and berries that were either edible or medicinal. She remained with the Corps on their return journey, leaving them at her starting point on August 14, 1806. She and her family traveled to St. Louis in 1809, and left Jean Baptiste in the care of William Clark, who had offered to provide him with an education. Sacajawea and Charbonneau left town in April 1811 to join a fur-trading expedition when she was described as: "...a good creature, of a mild and gentle disposition... but she had become sickly, and longed to revisit her native country," by Henry Brackenridge who chronicled the trading voyage. She gave birth to a daughter, Lisette, in 1812 at Fort Manuel along the Missouri River. A clerk at the fort, John C. Luttig, noted that on December 20, 1812 "This evening the wife of Charbonneau... died of putrid fever. She was good and the best woman in the fort, aged about twenty-five years." Although alternate fates for Sacajawea have been proposed, modern scholarship regards this record as the best historical evidence of her death, especially considering William Clark confirmed it in his list of Corps of Discovery members in 1825. Clark remained Jean Baptiste's guardian and also took Lisette as his ward, and was was legally made the guardian of the children in Orphan's Court in August 1813. Sacajawea has since been memorialized with countless statues and monuments, on postal stamps, and in place-names. In 2000, her likeness appeared on a dollar coin struck by the US Mint. In 2001, the President of the US granted her a posthumous decoration as an honorary sergeant in the regular army. Her name has been variously recorded as Sacajawea, Sacagawea, and Sakakawea.

  • Walleye Up Statue

    Address:
    212 N Main St, Mobridge, SD 57601, USA .

    Sculptor John Lopez was born and raised on a ranch in Western South Dakota. His western and rodeo theme bronzes have been well received by the public and have sold all over the country from California to New York. For the past ten years, John has been working on The City of Presidents project in Rapid City, SD. John Adams, John F. Kennedy and John, Jr., Calvin Coolidge, Teddy Roosevelt and Ulysses S. Grant are a few of the presidents John has placed on the street corners so far. The job security that this steady work provides has opened up the door for John to experiment with the style of his work and allowed him to branch out into other sculptural forms.

    In the midst of a successful career in bronze sculpting, John Lopez discovered this exciting new direction: scrap iron sculpting. "I am never bored! I look forward to each new creation, and it is helping me grow and develop as an artist," he says.

    This unusual detour started about two years ago, when his beloved aunt, Effie Hunt, died in a rollover car accident. Lopez moved to his widowed Uncle Geno Hunt's ranch to build a family cemetery; his aunt would to be the first laid to rest there.

    Uncle Geno opened his home and welding shop to Lopez, who completed a fence around the cemetery, then ran out of material. The ranch is 35 miles from the nearest town or post office, so he went looking through the scrap iron on site.

    After some experimentation, he finished a gate into the cemetery, and then made a small angel peering over the top of the gate. The project gave him much personal satisfaction, and everyone who saw it was amazed at the result. A new career path was born in that cemetery. Not wanting to depart from his bronze casting expertise, John found a way to merge the two art forms into a new hybrid sculpture of everyday objects mixed with limited edition bronze castings. Hybrid Metal Art, a sculptural fusion of figurative and funk, a blend of iron and bronze.

  • Rusty's Saloon and Grill

    Address:
    2331 Co Rd 136, St Anthony, ND 58566, USA .

    We are located only a few miles away from Bismarck Mandan! Don’t know what to do for lunch or dinner? On the lookout for fun entertainment throughout the week? Stop by Rusty’s Saloon and Grill to enjoy some of the best American food and smoked meat in the Saint Anthony, North Dakota area.

  • Leavenworth Battle Marker

    Address:
    U.S. 12, Mobridge, SD 57601, USA .

    In the summer of 1823, two of the first battles between Indians and Whites in South Dakota took place as a result of the desire for revenge. The conflicts began when the Arikara (Sahnish), living along the Missouri River at the time, blamed whites for the death of one of their revered leaders, Ankedoucharo. The Arikara village chief traveled to Washington, D.C., in 1806 and died there without explanation. The fact that Lewis and Clark, who had negotiated the trip, did not tell the Arikara about his death until over a year later lent credence to the sentiments of blame. The Arikara were hostile toward several groups of traders and explorers throughout the next several years. Prior to this event, the Arikara were considered friendly toward white traders and explorers. In June of 1823, however, a group of traders traveling up from St. Louis toward Yellowstone were directly attacked by an Arikara war party lead by Grey Eyes. The soldiers were lead by General William H. Ashley, lieutenant governor of Missouri, and suffered several casualties in the fight, as well as the loss of their cargo and boats.

  • South Dakota State Capitol

    Address:
    500 E Capitol Ave, Pierre, SD 57501, USA .

    On June 25, 1908 when the corner stone for the South Dakota State Capitol was laid, Governor Coe Crawford said in his address: "The new capitol will do more than comfortably accommodate the officers who are to labor within its walls for the people whom they will serve. It will stand throughout the coming years as an expression of beauty and art, and as the people come and go and linger within its walls, they will see in it an expression of the soul of the state."

    June 30, 2010 marked the 100th anniversary of the formal dedication of the South Dakota State Capitol in Pierre. Three special events were held to recognize this important milestone in our state's history. The 2010 time capsule was placed in a locked glass display case immediately adjacent to the front doors of the Capitol where it can be viewed by the public.

  • Petrified Wood Park & Museum

    Address:
    500 Main Ave, Lemmon, SD 57638, USA .

    If the traveler crosses the northern plains of South Dakota to the city of Lemmon, he will come upon a very interesting and unusual site—the world's largest petrified wood park. This site consists of 3,200 tons of petrified wood, 100 tons of petrified grass, and tons of cannon ball boulders which are either standing in the condition they were found or stacked and cemented together to form conical pyramids, pillars, various other configurations, and three buildings.